Monday, October 17, 2011

Family, Fun times, Bad times & A super feel good movie! What a week!

One of Sandra's Beautiful Bridals
Wednesday night my sister Kami and her family came and stayed with us for the weekend.  The purpose for their visit was so that Kami could take wedding pictures of our cousin Sandra but it was a nice mini vaca for them also.














We had a lot of fun with them though!  We took the kids Thursday night and went to the Halloween store.  Landon wanted EVERYTHING he laid eyes on and Riley was just content, taking it all in I guess.  I was a little nervous someone would have nightmares that night, but wasn't a problem.  


Aunt Bunny and the boys


Riley loves Cade :)


Kami doin what she does


Thanks for playin Roger/Kami fam!


So, with trying to be healthier, it wasn't so bad since Kami has been healthier as well.  She introduced me to chai seeds.  (....Those will take getting use to.)  As well as other things.  We did splurge a few times, but not near as bad as past splurging.  I'm hoping to get back into it again now.
Last night we made the only whole wheat "Tortillas" I can make.  It was actually my crepe recipe.  Works though!
1 Cup (Whole Wheat) Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt)
3 Large Eggs
1 1/3 Cups Milk
2 Tablespoon Vegtable Oil
1 Tablespoon melted butter
It hurts!









And on the first crepe....wrapped my finger around the metal part on the pan and...bad burn.  I tried some home remedies...the best was my finger against a potato.  The night went downhill from there...
The show must go on!

Black bean and corn enchiladas

Homemade enchilada sauce




Processed cheese :)

 The enchiladas could have turned out better.  Our black beans were crunchy..(I must not know how to prepare black beans) but I think the recipe still has potential.  I don't know.  Not worth the painful burn though.




So it's been a hard weekend.  (Not any problems with the Seamons family being in town) but for whatever reason I've been just off in other ways.  At work Wednesday, Friday and Saturday I just did every mistake that was possible.  I have been extremely irritable.  Angry with people in general from work to stupid politics, haha.  Then yesterday it started with the burn, then I couldn't find ANY printer paper I needed to do something for my calling...just totally annoyed and my attitude was awful. I took care of things and eventually calmed down.
Then we watched "17 Miracles" for the first time.  It totally turned my night around.  I expected it would be a bit of a guilt trip for me having had such a bad attitude earlier but still wanted to watch it.  It touched me so much seeing and remembering all that the Saints endured traveling to Zion.  I don't think I would have been able to go through what they went through.  I thought about my "tough" week and it just didn't compare with the trials that were experienced in this movie.  I thought about how easy I have it, how blessed I am and it made me feel sad for not having a better attitude through my trials or for lacking faith in my day to day activities.  I wondered what I am doing in my life that has as much purpose as these people had in theirs.  I hate crying in movies, haha, but I bawled the last half hour to hour. What touched me the most was seeing the tender mercies of our Heavenly Father, I got chills in several scenes. It was so good and such a spiritual movie.  Such a good reminder of why we are here on this earth and what our responsibilities are.  I feel so grateful for these Saints who had so much purpose in their lives and faith and were so strong.  I'm grateful to be apart of such an amazing church.           


I just found instructions about how to replace table sugar with honey.  Excited to try it out.  Here I come zucchini bread! :)

Replace 1 teaspoon / 5 ml of white sugar with a quarter teaspoon / 1 ml of honey. Alternatively, BBC Food suggests that it is easier to replace one quantity of honey for each one and one quarter quantities of sugar. The ratio should be 4:5 [2]
  • Honey has quite a strong flavour of its own - be careful substituting it in recipes where it might dominate the overall flavour. Fruit is susceptible to being overwhelmed by the flavour of honey.
  • A cup of honey contains 1/4 cup of water; this means that you should cut down on liquids by the same amount.[3]
  • Lower the oven temperature by 25ºF when substituting honey, to prevent overbrowning.[4]
  • Honey is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. This ability means that cakes should turn out to be more moist when using honey in place of sugar.[5]

No comments:

Post a Comment