Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A couple good books

 

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.


I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn.


I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children.


I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.


I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.


I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

-Sister Hinckley 

I have just been thinking about that quote from Sister Hinckley lately and thought I'd share it.  I think there needs to be more woman in the world like her.  I love the book Glimpses into the Life of Marjorie Hinckley.  Super good read.

-

I have also read a little of the book, Cleansing of America by Dr. W. Cleon Skousen.  I picked up the book while doing laundry at my Grandma's house and really liked it.  It was easy to read and made a lot of sense.  It also made you think.  If you are a little bit nerdy about politics (like me off and on) you will find this very interesting I think.  
A little description: " Dr. W. Cleon Skousen spent the majority of his life researching the gospel, the U.S. Constitution, the founding of America and writing numerous books and articles on the topic, and he is one of the most well-known, respected defenders of America and the gospel the world has ever known. At the time of his passing in 2006, his work was not finished. His book The Cleansing of America, written in 1994 and given into the care and keeping of his sons, is now being brought forth for the first time ever. Included in these pages are the events and stages the Lord has predicted, through his servants, the winding-up scences of this world. It helps the reader understand: the nature of prophecy, the known chronology of prophetic events, and the importance of staying close to the Lord and his prophets during the difficult and challenging years prior to the Second Coming. We are fast approaching those prophetic events. Some are upon us even now. "

-

I've been listening to Conservative Talk Radio today and just thinking about how scary and crazy it is in the world right now and the question of what can anyone do.  I just thought of that quote and the two books and how inspiring they both are, or can be, (in the case of Cleon's book) for these times. 
  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment