Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ever had an encounter with someone that left you walking away feeling "small"...or maybe belittled is a better word.. I'm sure everyone has. I seem to have them quite often with older people. A completely unnecessary reaction is replaying in my head tonight. Let me share...
This isn't a huge issue, really it isn't...but I'm still bugged about it.
We live in an apartment complex. One with a pool. So, obviously, I don't need another persons pool to swim in..(that detail is important to this story.) Just across the street from our apartment complex are some older, less expensive, small, townhomes. They have a small community park behind them with a pool. 
This evening we took a little walk behind the townhomes. There isn't a great amount of walking options where we're at, unless you want to shop. So, we walked across the street and followed the path around this  community park with Aleah. We did a little walking practice with her and explored the environment around us. When I noticed that the community pool had an open gate, I took her over to the pool to kick a couple beach balls that were floating by the poolside. Cade stayed outside of the gate with the dog and I just picked Aleah up and swung her over the balls so that she could lightly kick them. A few times I quickly dipped her feet in the water. I was probably only there for a short minute.
And then here comes "Old Guy Ornery" (That's what I'll call him!) Walking from the other side of the pool, as he approached us he asked, somewhat decently, "Are you visiting someone here?"
My reply: "No, we're just taking a small walk"..
Ornery (With a little annoyance and sarcasm): "This isn't a public pool, you know." As he walked past.
Me again, "Oh, we aren't going to swim." (Obviously.)
And then he walked outside of the gate and looked at a Aleah and said something like, "Did you get a little wet?" Awkwardly decent again. And that was basically that, he left and we walked the other direction away from the pool. 
Not a big deal, right? But it was just unnecessary.
This seemed like just a small way that he needed to flex his muscles. For his own pride. Needed to show someone that he was big and in charge. Silly. When he saw that we were all fully dressed and with a dog, he should have used some common sense and not assumed the worst in our intentions.
We had no plans to swim there, we were just taking a walk and exploring things and places with our baby. PLEASE, relax. We are not disrespectful, rebellious, teenage punks. We are adults, and I think, pretty responsible...
So....can we all just make a little pledge right now?... To grow up gracefully. And not Ornery. To use common sense. And talk to each other (even those younger and "less smart" as us) a little more respectfully. To build up our communities by being friendlier. And maybe even assume the best in each other?
It would have been much better if this guy had just walked past us with a smile on his face and a little, "Hello...Nice night, isn't it?" kind of comment.
Anyways, a few thoughts. Not a big deal though. And goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a bummer. People have no idea the kind of impact they have on others even without using words at all! I don't have children or anything but this is exactly how I feel about people with a need to often make sarcastic comments. I know, I do it too, but even still. It speaks numbers. Way to be graceful about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Heather! I'm glad someone else gets it!

    ReplyDelete