Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's "That Day" (My Retail Rant)

You know how Black Friday shoppers are crazy?  Well, turns out those crazies don't come out just once a year.  Nope...once, twice...maybe even five times a week?
It's my first year working retail and if you are a FB follower you probably have my status' blocked for whining too much about work.  (That or political posts.)  Yes, I'm thankful for work.  Yes, yes, yes.  Doesn't mean I like it.  AT ALL.  Ughhhh I HATE it.  In fact my sister works in Idaho Falls for the same store and I think we have both been close to tears as we've shared our awful work stories.  Ok, that's an exaggeration...but I do know we've both cried privately from complete dread of having to go to work the night or day before.  Haha.  Why didn't I just go find a different job?
1. I tried.
2. This economy is stinky, hello.
3. Really, two months before moving back to Boise, it would be pointless now.

Anyways, lately I've been classifying certain annoying shoppers into catagories...maybe sharing it will make me feel like the world gets me now.  No, that's an exaggeration too.  Just trying to make you feel better about your job?

One thing I have found out working in retail is that overly sensitive, easily annoyed, stubborn and high stress people--should not work in retail.

My biggest pet peeve:
This is me at the beginning of every transaction.  "HI!" And this is what I get back...nothing.





















Resulting in this feeling:
WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SAY HI BACK?!

I don't know what is on this ladies face.  Ignore it.




 I also deal with on a daily basis at least one of these five kinds of people:

"Sneaky People"
 I have caught two people trying to shoplift.  One lady had stuff stuffed inside a cooler she was buying.  
The other lady just took what I rang up and put it in her cart on top of stuff I hadn't rung up and then got mad at me for catching on and starting the whole order over.  Nice. 

"Dumbies"
These are the people who seriously leave their common sense at the door.  The people that can't do anything for themselves.  For example: People that frantically ask you, (while using your debit/credit machine), "Where do I sign?"  
Me: "Well, is there a line?"  
Them: "Yes..." 
Me: "Then sign on the line".  
Or.
Them: (Reading the machine) "Do I want cash?  No, I don't want cash.  What do I push?"
Me: "Push 'No Cash'".
Really though, you can be about as dumb as you want to be, as long as you are nice.  If you aren't nice and you are dumb then I am going to have a hard time forgiving your stupidity as is the case with these two examples. 

"Mama's Never Taught Youz.."
Manners.  Your mother never taught you manners.  I feel bad for you.  
I feel bad that your Dad didn't teach you to smile even when you didn't feel like smiling.  Thank you Dad for that, I now realize that that lesson was taught to me JUST to make a cashiers shift a little nicer. Ha...possibly for other reasons too. :)
I'll spend 5 minutes packing a persons cart without their help and then they'll finish their transaction and not even say, "Hey thanks for lifting that 40 lb bag of cat litter".  Oh you're welcome, thanks for not helping me.
Another example, some lady said to me, "Grab me that box..." and I seriously almost said in a correcting tone for a small child, "Please?"  Didn't.  Almost wish I could have.

"Jump the Gunners"

Me: "Would you-"
Them: "No!  I don't want to upgrade to that Plus Membership."
Me: "Ok...but would you like a box for your chicken?" 
Calm down people.  
Even if I was trying to sell you the Plus Membership, couldn't you just let me do my job, let me get my 5 second "Our Plus Membership is our best membership and offers the greatest savings, would you like to upgrade today?  You're amount is pro-rated to your renewal and would only cost you $24 today" line out that I don't even want to talk to you about and then kindly tell me, "No, thanks, I'm not interested." 

"Grouchies"
The mean, impatient, take all frustration out on you people.
Hi, I'm just a cashier.  Not the CEO.  If you have a problem...talk to someone who can do something about your complaint.  Thanks.
Oh and the EYE ROLLERS.  They could have their own category.  They roll their eyes when you can't understand their very broken english or when they realize we don't accept the card that they are paying with or anything that goes wrong during an order.  These are the people who have never made a mistake in their lives.  Nope, did you know some people are perfect?  It's true, there are perfect people out there-I call them the Eye Rollers.
Me: "Would you like to renew your membership today?"
Them: "No".
"Ok, well, has anyone told you that you can renew it early and it won't affect your renewal date?  It's just for your convenience".
Them: "I don't trust you guys.  You've messed up my membership before, I don't trust you guys anymore."  
REALLY?  What are you doing shopping at and supporting a store that you don't trust?  Wow lady.


There are of course other kinds of annoying shoppers..."The Obsessive Compulsives" who re-organize all the items after you place them in the cart, "Know-it-alls", "Lazies"..but I'll end there because this post is already way too negative for it's own good and I'm probably going to regret having said what I said..  Let me say though, I do enjoy the cute old men that tell silly jokes and compliment me, FAMILY and FRIENDS coming in and seeing me and work friends that let me throw a mini fit, (complete with feet stomping and all, (jk) everytime I get to work before my shift starts. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha, LOVE IT! So glad I don't work retail! But I love reading about the funny stuff that happens to others! Lol

    ReplyDelete